Hi

We are considering our options for school next year for DD8 who is finishing 2nd grade (gifted private school 3rd grade, 4th grade or public school 3rd grade or 4th grade). Gifted school will allow us to keep her a 3rd grade but move her into the upper grade class (mostly 4-5th graders) or to accelerate officially. I am sure the process would be much harder to go to 4th in public school and we have not initiated anything yet as we are most likely staying at the private school.

I have been wondering about doing achievement testing in part to help evaluate if she needs a grade skip. I've also considered it might be useful if we want to apply for DYS.

I'm wondering about the best timing for achievement tests and which test. Does the test compare her by age or by grade?

We also just got back her results on the Terra Nova Cat 6 testing done at school. I am wondering if this is sufficient to meet our needs now in trying to decide what to do for next year and how high she really needs to score to consider a grade skip reasonable (using other factors as well of course). She had a 99th percentile on 3 out of the 10 subsets, 96 percentile on 3 more but the others were just well above average.