In my district the youngest grade I've ever heard a student take Algebra class in was 5th grade. Setting them up for Calculus as a H.S. freshman. The scale I'm talking about is one kid every few years in a huge district. In order to take this in 5th grade the district required parent transport to the junior high to take the class with the 7th graders (~1/5 students at our junior high used take Algebra in 7th grade), and when they went to junior high transport to the high school. One of my son's classmates in his gifted program did this.

My husband who (years & years ago) finished all of H.S. math by the end of junior high did it by being tutored and going very quickly in middle school. (6-8) Rather than moving to Algebra in elementary school. This was before homeschooling & all these online programs existed.

As to what class your son might be able to take next fall. Has you school switched to "Common Core"? If so you know the difference in their math sequences? If the district uses Common Core in junior high perhaps the class you should look at your son taking would be the Common Core 8 class. It's a cross between pre-Algebra, beginning Algebra & some Geometry.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/18/15 10:03 AM.