Lots of things you said really ring true and gives me lots to think about.
Originally Posted by spaghetti
It sounds like your dd's range may be very small. She can't focus on repetition so moves fast and makes a lot of mistakes, and she hits the top where there is new material, but the other kids move so fast that she is not able to get it so quickly and needs repetition.
This certainly sounds like her. She has little patience for anything redundant, yet gets frustrated if she doesn't instantly understand something.
Or perhaps she has an undiagnosed math disability
Or perhaps she is starting to move to abstract material and isn't quite ready.
A math disability. I don't know about them, but will definitely look into it. Not as sure about the abstract material. She generally gets abstract concepts.

It does sound like a confidence issue and a mismatch of curriculum to child, but I don't think you have enough info to address the problem yet. However, I would get on it so that she is not lost to math forever. I'd start doing her homework with her. If it is too much repetition, speed it up for her by having her do it orally, or making it a game, or letting her pet the dog after every 5 correct, or whatever it takes to get the focus off the dullness. Meanwhile, look at her reasoning processes, her calculation skills, and assess her in your mind.

Confidence is definitely an issue now, and agree I need to get to the bottom of this ASAP. How would you recommend I assess reasoning? Is it just being able to explain why ?

Another thought is if you have any after school math programs in your area. You could have her assessed for a level and have a few tutoring sessions to see where she is. Perhaps the other subjects are still coming easy to her and she hasn't learned to enjoy putting in effort to learn something.
We do have several after school math and learning places nearby. Is there someplace you would recommend? Once she got over the fact that she had to do some math each day over the summer, it wasn't really a hassle. I let her pick her topics each day and do as many as she wanted. Some days it was the minimum of 2 pages, other days 10. And I should have mentioned, that sometimes she does long division to settle herself when stressed.

IOW, I don't think there's an answer here, but there are lots of questions.

I agree. And I feel blessed that there are people who can help me figure this out!