Hello! I don't believe I have posted here before. Thank you for reading!
DS11 is in 5th grade and the school has been testing for gifted services for middle school. He has an IEP with ADHD and a language disorder. He has had OT and other help with his fine motor ability. His CogAT test percentiles for Quantitative is 99, and verbal is also in the high nineties. The school has a few other tests it gives the kids and DS made the Math TAG program. For everything else, his score was just under the automatic minimum, and needed a review. (DS did not make the cut based on a single writing sample they had him do for this purpose.) Part of the scoring includes the non-verbal portion of the CogAT, which DS was not able to complete, and scored in the seventies. As a composite with his Quantitative scores, it brought his total point number to right under the 'shoo-in' number. He has various vision challenges, including Convergence Insufficiency that make it difficult to do the figural work on the non-verbal portion. DS does have difficulty with written expression, more as an EF issue, but also in nuanced inferencing. He has ben steadily growing in this aspect - other components of a LA curriculum are a strength, including grammar, spelling, and vocabulary. DS is very curious, is a voracious reader, and enjoys history and science. This Reading program also is the only way to access Science and Social Studies at an enriched level. All of elementary school, DS has been complaining of being bored in class, and has been much more engaged when presented with challenging material. My question is- given these circumstances, would you appeal the decision and fight the school? What are your thoughts on this? I'd appreciate your opinions- my instinct is that he needs the challenge, and we can help him with the written expression. Thanks for reading through this.