There are pros/cons.

Originally Posted by Mama Cas
1. Regular K-5 neighborhood school with pull out math/reading. This is the kind of school he has attended so far and has been a welcome way to quickly integrate into the local community. My son has had both fantastic and mediocre experiences. It all depends on the teacher.
I see some social advantages to this. But as your son will be entering 4th grade and you sound like you are hoping to stay a few years this time I would look ahead, what are the options for junior high/6th grade? I think this could be hit or miss depending on the teacher and peer group.

2. K-5 gifted-only magnet school. Unfortunately this is in a town where people pay for coaching so their preschoolers will test into gifted programs. And brag about it. I'm not a fan of being around people who think of giftedness as a symbol of social status.

What do they do that is different than the first option? How will this school meet your son's needs that the other don't. Do they do math faster, or at grade above other schools? Do they have a lot more homework than the other schools? What books are they reading for language arts? Do they still work lock step on the same 'above' grade level work?

3. K-8 Open Classroom style multi-age classroom charter school with no gifted program. The principal does not believe in a program for gifted kids since the kids have a lot of freedom to design their own curriculum based on their own interests. The academics are weak by regular testing measures though they do cover the Common Core requirements. Parents are required to put in a lot of classroom volunteer time which I see as a plus.
Could be good but I'm concerned about the weak academics. What do students do when they max out the the curriculum. For example in math. Are there opportunities for students to take High School level math? This might be a good fit in 4th & 5th but not such a great fit in 8th grade. Does this mean that students work independently or they choose in groups what they want to work on. Do they do lots of group work.

Can you talk with the parents of students who attend the various schools. Have you had a chance to visit any of these schools.