Hi everyone,

Feeling overwhelmed right now. DS is a DYS, GAI 148. My son is also 2e. He hates school and is given no differentiation. School principal even said they would not give him a book to read during Self Selected Reading at his level because it would be inappropriate, even though it would be at no cost to them. Three independent psychologists say he needs a gifted program. Conveniently, our public school district offers a TAG magnet program. It requires high scores in the NWEA for reading/math/science and NNAT2.

DS got a 99th percentile in both reading and science for the NWEA, 86th percentile in math...but his NNAT2 scores were not high enough. Denied admission. They do not take any other information to determine eligibility for the TAG program. They do not accept appeals or look at his WISC IV which we got last year. So he has yet another year languishing at school while he waits to retest and he'd better perform on that day because that is his only shot.

Something else...DS has a 504 for anxiety. As part of his 504 plan, he has extended and/or untimed tests. The NNAT2 is a timed test, and the TAG proctor insisted that my son take it without accommodations. DS's principal argued with the TAG proctor but lost. So my son's 504 was violated. The principal told me and the next day I got an apologetic email from the TAG office. They came back and gave DS a paper and pencil NNAT2 test with adjusted time. I didn't make a stink about it at the time because I didn't want the TAG office to be biased against my child when evaluating his eligibility. But DS doesn't like repeating work and has huge test anxiety. You can guess how that went, and now I am angry.

We live in Michigan, a state with no mandates. The law is not on our side. So I ask you folks who have much more experience than I do...what can we do to fight this decision? Do I have a shot with the 504 violation or not?

Or...is the way they screen kids for TAG a big red flag? Is it high achievement that they mistakenly call "giftedness"

Last edited by Wentworth; 04/29/15 10:47 AM.