I don't think a major in "education" makes sense. The major should be in a real discipline, such as math or English, supplemented by some courses on pedagogy that would amount to a minor in education.
I don't know which one, but I read about a school that did that for music education programs so that students took a minor in education and it seemed like a great idea - I mean, it seems to me like you might need more education/child development for preschool and K-2 teachers, but for upper elementary and secondary it seems very efficient.
Around here there are at least some good teachers, but only half of them seem to really get excited about their subject and it really rubs off on the kids. Least year I was shocked to discover the science teacher was actually a scientist and not a castoff math teacher and then reflected that....shouldn't ALL science teachers be scientists?
In our schools the only teachers consistently knowledgeable and skilled in their subjects are the music teachers and the language teachers. For some reason there's a group of teachers, and administrators particularly, earning doctorates - and this is, like, the gym teacher and the apathetic principle I'm talking about - but apparently it's...not a scam or degree mill exactly, but definitely not a rigorous degree program. The teachers with Master's degree actually tend to represent at least a somewhat thorough knowledge.