Teachers Cannot Teach What They Do Not Know
Mary Grabar
April 23, 2015
City Journal

This article summarizes a book by Sandra Stotsky which discusses education reform through improving teacher education.

In her new book, An Empty Curriculum: The Need to Reform Teacher Licensing Regulations and Tests, Sandra Stotsky, professor emerita of education at the University of Arkansas, offers a tested model of teacher knowledge, explains why it’s not being used, and describes strategies for overcoming the education establishment’s resistance. Stotsky’s credentials for this task are impressive: in her role as senior associate commissioner at the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education from 1999 to 2003, she oversaw complete revisions of the state’s pre-K-12 standards as well as its teacher-licensure standards. Until these standards were replaced by the Common Core in 2010, Massachusetts ranked first among the states in educational achievement.

A rigorous teacher-education curriculum in which prospective future educators become subject matter experts may benefit elementary students, as "teachers cannot teach what they do not know."

Much of the rhetoric surrounding the 2009 Race to the Top contest for federal stimulus funds focused on improving teacher quality, but the methods for measuring such quality can be dubious—including having students, beginning as early as kindergarten, evaluate their teachers. Georgia’s eight-year-olds assess teachers on such criteria as “my teacher cares about my learning” and “my teacher shows me how I can use what I learn at home and in the community.”
Hardcover, paperback, and ebook available through Amazon.

Gifted and high achieving students might especially benefit from teachers who are subject matter experts and therefore able to teach above-grade-level curriculum.