Originally Posted by aeh
If there is something about the profile which impairs that person's capacity to live a full and satisfying life without significant support, then I think we are entering the realm of pathology.
Perhaps support becomes significant when the environment has to make modifications to suit an individual that are disproportionate compared to those made for the other members of the community.

This suggests that autism is community dependent - an individual in one culture may not "have" it any more when they move to a different culture that fits them better. That seems a little strange for a "disorder" - I mean, you don't suddenly stop having a sprained ankle because you move from Chicago to Cambodia. Or a brain injury.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
Can you imagine sitting in a school assembly where the speaker is telling everyone how awful autism is, and we should raise money for the poor autistics-- and you have it?)

Yes, I can imagine that - but I don't really want to. eek I'm sorry that that happened to your son, and I'm glad that he is able to challenge such things now.