cammom,

Just a few thoughts for you, and definitely a bundle of commiseration!

Although we aren't dealing with exactly the same issues, our ds' have a few things in common. I wouldn't assume that behavioral therapy is going to be the *full* answer for helping with turning homework into a non-nightmare. I'd look closely at the depressed processing speed score on the coding subtest and try to nail down where that's coming from. If it's merely a function of him not cooperating fully or being distracted on the WISC then it's nothing... but otoh, if you're seeing issues with homework taking a long time, refusal to show written work, other things going on impacting the homework, then it may be significant for your ds - and if so, you'd want to tackle whatever is at the root of it, not just a behavioral outcome or reaction due to a challenge.

Our ds8 also has a large gap in processing speed - for him it's related to dysgraphia and dyspraxia, but when he was your ds' age he was also diagnosed (incorrectly) with ADHD based on behaviors that were really related to his other challenges. It wasn't obvious until he was a bit older, but he also has an expressive language disorder, and he struggles quite a bit with social language as well. His scores on WJ-III Achievement tests range from way high to way low (on the subtests that are impacted by his challenges).

I'd try to learn as much as I can from the test scores, and then try to see how it correlates with what you see in real life, then go from there.

Best wishes,

polarbear