I think that the intent here is to ensure a kid's continued success and to keep them near the top of the class on the next grade up too. A lot of talent searches use grade and not age so a kid can miss out on some opportunities if they are not able to perform in the nineties at the given grade.

Have you actually had your child evaluated? You are going to need hard empirical data to support your case for any accelerated program in all likelihood.

We skipped our DD one grade and sometimes I wonder if it was enough but I do not really want to skip her again unless forced to. A skip is no silver bullet - in our case it has been the least worst realistically achievable option. The rate of learning is the key differentiator for some of our kids and our DD is already after schooled too - this sucks but a kid needs to stay learning. Our DD is closest to me in personality and I had and to some extent still have EF skills deficits, procrastination and perfectionistic tendencies that I attribute to spending years staring off into space in the classroom from being chronically under challenged. I will obviously do everything that I can to avoid me daughter from following in those particular footsteps.

We are meeting with her future middle school principal later today to see if she can finally throw off the shackles of NJ Common Core next year and just do her AoPS work during Maths time. Not sure how far we will get - she is also signed up for a DYS Composition class next academic year which we hope will allow her to flex her verbal/written expression skills.

Become what you are