Dorothy Delay said something like prodigies' nervous system is wired differently and those kids actually feel calmer in front of the audience.

My DD is NOT a prodigy and she gets nervous about playing but she gets into a "zone" and she delivers.

She is only 4 so I don't know how her ability to perform on stage is going to change. knute974, thank you for sharing your DD's story. I will definitely remember it when we need to make a final decision about her participation. I'm glad that the experience did not stop her from picking up a different instrument.

Bostonian, you're right of course that it's more about the process than the goal. As far as a childhood hobby goes though, classical music is...expensive. The amount of money we are spending on her music lessons relative to our income only makes sense if this is going to be more than just a pastime for her but she's much too young for anyone to be thinking about her career. I feel we're over-invested in this particular area and we need to scale back even if it might be her dream to become a concert soloist.

Marnie, I do have a few friends who wouldn't say no to free wine and cheese even if they'd have to listen to my DD play music. laugh Her piano teacher has been very helpful in making public performance "normal" for her but I also want DD to know that performance doesn't have to be going on a big stage in front of strangers and that it can be fun and stress-free.

Mahagogo5, a lot of people seems to think young children do not get stage fright but I've seen more than a few young children refuse to go on stage, including my DD. Have you tried getting her to perform at home for people she likes?