From another Europeans perspective: DS8, third grade, will go away to a three day sleepover camp with his school later this spring. I know he'll be anxious beforehand, but am confident he'll do fine. I went away in third grade for a five day camp at 7; in retrospect, that was rather too early (I wasn't traumatized or anything but my mom was, having to try and comb my long hair for over an hour when I came back looking like a birds nest because no one bothered to help me with that). Weeklong sleepover camps organized by the school are considered normal from about fourth grade, vacation programs may be two weeks or longer. I know that French kids are routinely sent to 2 weeks+ sleepover summer camps at the seaside by early elementary. So I think that the disconnect is not just due to your unique family situation but also that European kids ARE expected to be self sufficient and independent In that way sooner that US kids.
However, three weeks IS long for a ten year old, esoecially at a camp where she may not know anyone. Thinks I'd check out beforehand:
How do they facilitate kids getting to know one another and support group cohesion? Could a kid that doesn't "click" with others feel excluded and lonely, or would she feel part of the group, just not like she'll make friends for life? What is scheduled on the weekends? I think at that age, they should not have a lot of time to themselves. How do they deal with homesickness, calls, emails? A hefty dose of outdoor time in addition to the academic stuff would help with group cohesion and relaxing kids at bedtime.
What's the emergency plan? I know my kid would have to know we could just come and get him, but be very unlikely to exercise the option.
Self care and laundry: do they need clothes for three weeks? Is someone doing laundry for them? Is she independent with showering and washing/drying/styling her hair? If she still needs support eg with long hair, you might want to make sure you practice a bit.
I'd also rehearse options for when she's feeling lonely/homesick: look at photographs? Cuddle a toy? Write an email? Phone? Skype? Go speak to another kid? Speak to a counselor? Empower her.
I'm sure she'll have a blast!

Edited to ask if early puberty might be on. The horizon? 10 is early for onset of menstruation but not too early and sleep away camp is notorious for waking up in a puddle of blood if you're a young girl...your wife might want to make sure she knows what to do just in case and has a package of sanitary pads in her bag!

Last edited by Tigerle; 04/01/15 06:37 AM.