DS is close to the same age (second grade) and has a dx of DCD. He was also an early/average walker (he was walking well by his first birthday). I didn't really notice obvious deficiencies until he was around 2. He was having problems hopping up and down and jumping off things. He couldn't keep his feet together hopping off a step, even at age 3. Turns out he has low muscle tone as well as coordination issues (they often go together). With writing, he had an odd pencil grip. He was able to write his name at age 3, but looked really awkward and hardly pressed down on the paper at all. In K other kids writing got rapidly better, but DS's--not so much. Then he fractured his skull and had some obvious brain damage which further complicated the situation. One eye wasn't tracking at all and his motor ability seemed to have deteriorated. Even after his eye started tracking again, I noticed that he had trouble tracking something like a pencil moving back and forth in front of his face, keeping his eyes aligned. Was this from the brain injury? The DCD? Kids with DCD can have problems coordinating eye movements. Was he having problems catching a ball because of his eye tracking? Coordination? I still don't know. The opthamologist was not concerned about his eye tracking, and neither was a neuro-opthamolagist. The problem was that he couldn't track "on command" but did fine with things like reading. Have your DS sit across from you and watch his eyes while he reads. Do they appear to stay aligned? Of course that's not a reliable test but maybe you will see something obviously wrong. I worked as a reading tutor and one kid had problems with tracking. He reported seeing double print. He improved in terms of fluency (I was timing him) when I put a colored overlay over the passage. So that's something you could try.

Keep in mind that kids with DCD can vary dramatically. They may do really well with some things and not others. So DS does well with swimming and riding a bike, but has no idea how to do a jumping jack. Other kids with DCD may be the opposite. He has problems with speech and writing, but other kids with DCD may not. When he was tested in K on the Woodcock Johnson Achievement, he actually had above average scores for writing, even writing fluency was 80th percentile. But his classroom work was a mess.

In terms of IEP, the school at first acted ridiculous and told me to get my own eval. I took him to a neuropsych and he diagnosed him with DCD. That was good enough for the school to write a "physically impaired" IEP, since his motor skills were making him "slow". The last kid to unload his backpack, get in class, get worksheets done, horrible writing, etc. They did make me verify with the pediatrician and get it in writing from her that he has DCD because apparently the dx from the neuropsych wasn't acceptable for the State. That was ironic considering the pediatrician had sent us to the neuropsych. It was actually a pediatric neurologist who first mentioned to us that he probably has DCD, at age 4, but she didn't give him a written diagnosis.

So 1.5 years later, DS is still on an IEP and is getting DAPE (basically physical therapy one on one or in a small group in addition to regular phy ed), OT, pull out for writing from a sped teacher, and speech (he was on a speech IEP before he started kindergarten). With a PI IEP, in our State, at least, they can give the kid whatever services they need after the IEP is written. So instead of havivng two IEPs (one for speech and one for PI), they put speech on the PI IEP. I hope this makes sense. I am in the US and have no idea how things are the same/different in Canada.