Thanks everyone. I'll continue with what's working for us and try to remember to ask more questions and to point out more stuff that I haven't explained yet. I'll add a little bit of fun phonics work here and there. Hopefully he too will just pick up on spelling as his familiarity with words increases. It never worked for me, but that is why they make spell check smile

Any suggestions on what to do when he asks questions? On a new text he tends to stop after each sentence and ask a question about it. It actually drives me nuts! I generally say to keep reading and maybe we will find out. A lot of his questions I can't even answer, like why was her shirt green or why did she just say hop instead of jump or why does this book have string instead of glue or staples?

I hate to tell him to stop asking questions, but should I put a limit on the number of questions per book or perhaps refuse to answer until we get to the end? There is a general consensus he probably has ADHD, could the constant questions be a symptom of lack of impulse control?