Our DS has just turned four. His teachers think that he needs a lot of social and emotional development before entering K. They say that he appears to be a typical student if you didn't know him. His impulse control has improved. But I can't help but feel that if he were in a program that provided challenging activities, they would see a child that is ready for K. But it doesn't matter, I've tried to open up that dialogue with the school and it's just not going to happen. According to our entry schedule in CA, he cannot enter K until he's 5.5. He was doing K work at 23 months-almost 3 and now he's getting close to a second grade level.
We recently asked the school district to test him and they did. Having confirmation for us and a way to communicate with the school district regarding his scores is incredibly beneficial. We have nothing to prove to anyone, and the scores were a nice place to start with a plan. I hope your sisters will come around for your sanity but honestly, being a parent of a gifted child comes with an ongoing lonliness that always seems to be there, somewhere-but sometimes, it's a small part of my day, usually "giftedness" of my son is like 90 percent of our daily life. So glad you posted! I hope you find this forum to be as wonderful as I do.