Thanks so much for your feedback cdfox. Is there any curriculum you would recommend?

All of our math instruction thus far has been pretty informal. My son loves multiplication and he is always counting things to multiply, like the columns and rows on a sticker sheet to find how many there are total through multiplication.

He is able to add up to 3 digit numbers in his head, but I haven't actually taught him the concept of regrouping/working the problems out on paper from the ones place up. Right now he breaks numbers apart like 134 and 128 he says 100 + 100 +30 + 20 + 4 + 8 and he adds from the 100's down. I figure that is great but he will need to know paper math as well. He can subtract, but not as well as adding. I honestly think he is better at mental math than I am, but I'm probably pretty terrible at it myself.

For dividing he only knows how to divide by 2, but I think that some visuals might help with that. He hasn't actually memorized any times tables, he uses skip counting to multiply, so I'm not sure how to teach mental division.

I guess at this point we just do the workbooks and see where he ends up needing work and go from there. I'd love to teach him some geometry as he picks up on that sort of stuff so quickly, but there is almost none in the math books at the bookstore, well, other than really complex stuff for much older kids. Even if he could do that stuff there is no way I can get him to be able to focus with so many small problems written on the paper. I already have tons of issues getting his eyes looking at the right place on a piece of paper with only 10 large print questions. The end of our second grade book has a little bit on perimeter, but that is pretty easy for him. I think he would enjoy angles.

I guess I'll just carry on as I have been and worry more about what I am doing when he is old enough to actually be in school. I guess if we keep homeschooling past that point I'll need to learn about the laws and such. I'm assuming since K is optional I wouldn't have to worry about proving he is learning (or whatever) until first grade? And since I'm pretty sure he's already mastered 100% of first grade material it might be quite a while before I have to concern myself with proof of mastery...

I do wonder if I will ever get back to work though, I really miss my job!