Originally Posted by Aufilia
Moreoever, I don't think the CCSS require any particular impact on gifted education. They simply show what children should have learned BY the end of a grade; not what they must learn IN that grade. This situation is no different then before the CCSS, when most states already had their own standards but nobody ever heard about them on the news. Districts having chosen to claim the CCSS requires them to squelch gifted education on account of the CCSS are either acting in ignorance or because they have a new excuse to do what they wanted to do anyway.

My son is in a Title 1 school and what we find is that the teachers are forced to spend so much time bringing the kids up to the reading/writing/math standards (for kindergarten!) that they simply don't have the time or energy to differentiate for the gifted kids.

We've also run into the attitude that "DS has already met the standard, so he's fine." This attitude does not serve the gifted kids well. When the focus of a school is (or has to be) on achieving certain standards--as opposed to fostering the intellectual growth of all students--then I would guess that gifted students are likely to suffer the consequences.

Now anecdotes are not data, and common core may not say anything specifically about gifted education, but school resources tend to be finite over the short term. When a school is forced to divert resources towards achieving a new goal, something will likely have to be cut back. And we seem to be seeing firsthand some effects of common core in a resource-limited school.

(That doesn't mean the cutback is the fault of Common Core, but it does mean that somewhere, someone failed to develop an implementation plan that ensured the needs of all students would continue to be met.)