Another cat person here. Furry, purry, affectionate, clean (if you arrange things properly), independent, with distinct personalities and style - what's not to like? Agree with all the posters who question whether your SIL's allergy is a true impediment. Is it a life threatening or disabling allergy? Then of course a cat is out. However, I was never allowed a cat as a kid, nor my brother a dog, because my mother was allergic. Turned out our parents had to take in my brothers dog because of work and family commitments, and with that particular breed (Rough Collie) my mother did fine. Then we got two cats because we had a serious mice infestation I our historic house, and again, turned out my mother did fine, occasionally itchy eyes, but no breathing problems whatsoever. How often does your SIL even come over? Does she stay overnight? (We do make sure no cat ever touches my moms bedding). When friends come over who are allergic, we put the cats out and vacuum. One prefers to visit in summer when we hang out in the backyard rather than the house, in winter she asks us to her house. One used to take a couple antihistamines before staying over. Turned out that after her latest pregnancy she did fine, too, we have no idea why. Maybe it depends on the season.
I do not mean to make light of allergies at all, but they come in very different severities.

Edited to add that if cats are definitely out, I'd vote for a budgie/parakeet.

Last edited by Tigerle; 03/01/15 06:23 AM.