Originally Posted by TripleB
Nobody has mentioned two that seemed to be recommended a good deal: a rat (although I'd say my wife would be completely against it anyway just because of what it is) and a lizard (leopard gecko or bearded dragon). Anyone had experience with either? [/color]

We have a crested gecko. The species was recommended to us as being more likely to be interactive than other lizards of that size, and more easily accustomed to being handled.

We invested a fair bit of time and money up front in order to create a low-maintenance pet. We put together a vivarium with soil, water and live plants, which hugely reduces the cleaning (we wipe the obvious parts out once a month or so, and take it apart for a thorough clean and rebuild once a year). We bought an automatic mister to keep the humidity accurate, and use a timer to control the lights. So we can leave for 4-5 days and do nothing; we usually have someone pop by and add in some food once if we're gone a week.

She eats a fruit-based powder, and the occasional bug for fun and protein (cost: about $25/ year to feed). The bearded dragon requires regular mammals, not to mention far more space. I have been told that sharing a room with bearded dragon after a meal is not so pleasant too... But they are a more interesting animal to interact with.

As mentioned, do consider lifespan. Our crestie may live 10 or 20 years. Be extra careful with turtles, as their needs vary widely and they are often sold without proper warning: as some may live 100 years and hit hundreds of pounds, and require quite specific diets to keep healthy.

The crestie is definitely not snuggly, doesn't play, and won't make you feel loved after a tough day. But she is beautiful, interesting, and will hang out with people if you keep her accustomed to it.