Originally Posted by BenjaminL
While I've read books like "Battle hymn of the tiger mom", I've never met anyone that extreme in person. My actual experience with other parents is that life is much more complex and nuanced than pushy parents hot housing their kids vs. gifted children just searching for adequate educational opportunities. There are differences of opinion on actual potential, how much to enrich, how to build motivation, when to push for a particular placement etc. When an acceleration is sought, you don't always know if a child will thrive once given it and in conversations with others deciding what to do there is always a lot of angst over whether they are making the right decision.
And that is the difference I HAVE met parents who are that extreme. They do exist within my school district. It is also true that many of these 'hot housed' kids actually do better at school than my own child who has a lot of potential but isn't living up to it. But it is one of the reasons my school district doesn't allow any grade skips, and is very cautious about an kind of acceleration outside math in junior high, and doesn't really trust classes not taken in a brick & mortar school.