If you refer to the favourite toddler media thread I linked in your first post, I included some wood puzzles from Beleduc (one a world map, the other a multi-layer anatomy puzzle) in the linked thread with 15-20 pieces that my son loved around your LO's age. They were more manually workable than interlocking puzzles, while being more mentally challenging.

A word to the wise: puzzles have, by and large, been a waste of money in our house. One use and they're done forever. I buy all puzzles used. Generic puzzle games like Katamino and Blokus have had much more mileage, as has a Quadrilla wooden marble run. Wooden train sets, such as Brio, also create a puzzle-like opportunity to reason spatially while arranging track layouts, and I've found they have been longer lived.

One thing I did was to make our own inexpensive puzzles using eye-catching magazine images or pictures I drew pasted onto cardboard. I'd then just cut the pieces in a way that they fit together without interlocking. This way, you can fully customize the image, number of pieces, and degree of difficulty in dexterity at little effort or financial cost.

What is to give light must endure burning.