Originally Posted by KCMI
As a preschool teacher, I would not worry about reversals or writing form.

The development of physical act of actual writing (small muscle control) and the process of writing (sound-letter identification and visual spacial cues) are different.

Many early readers/writers reverse and it is developmentally OK and not unusual to age 7.

Students, especially earlier or independent learners, often will write completely backwards, mixed formats, and reversals. The asynchronous development is not uncommon.

I agree with all of this but with one caveat that applies here - if you've seen *other* signs of atypical development, the continuing reversals and refusal to write out math problems etc *might* be an indication of a challenge - and if there's a chance that there is a challenge, the earlier you are aware of it, the better.

The OP here has noted difficulties with upper body coordination, a very low score on one component of the BOT-2, as well as concerns voiced by his preschool teacher. Each of those, combined with the observations of starting letters at the bottom and writing reversals in spite of handwriting instruction combine to suggest something more than typical handwriting development is going on. I'd look at a few other things re handwriting - do the reversals happen only when he's writing words, or do they also happen if he's writing individual letters or the alphabet? Also did he go through pre-writing stages where he made scribbles that looksd like lines etc? (Sorry I don't know how to describe this - it's something I saw from one of my dd's teachers once - showing what typically happen as children develop writing skills - I just remember being very surprised by seeing it because it described *exactly* the way my nt dd's handwriting developed, and we saw absolutely none of these stages for my dysgraphic ds).

Best wishes,

polarbear