Our DD was tested but only because we wanted to understand why she went from being a very popular leader in preK to a socially isolated 2nd grader and being 'gifted' was a possible explanation. We didn't think that DD was particularly bright but wanted to eliminate it as an explanation for her situation.

By the Hoagies WISC IV stuff our DD is either HG (FSIQ=143) or PG (GAI=158) given that the tester stated that the GAI was probably the best estimate of her intelligence) - extended norms were not used. However, using the GAI feels like cheating. Additionally, like Magog, I sometimes feel that our DD belongs in the LH tail rather than the RH one. I also think that about myself these days too especially after a tough week - LOL.

Testing was a good thing for our DD because her WISC IV and WJ-III numbers meant that when analysed further using the IOWA Acceleration Scale it was relatively easy to present our case to her SD and get her skipped a grade. Skipping a grade took her out of a toxic situation and the contrast between her pre/post skip attitude to school was night and day. It also got her into the 'G&T' program at a local state College which has allowed her to make friendships with other bright kids her age.

Overall, I feel uncomfortable with the term 'gifted' (I vividly remember cringing the first time I heard the word) let alone (M|H|E|P)G and tend to describe my DD as 'bright'.

Last edited by madeinuk; 02/04/15 06:56 PM.

Become what you are