Originally Posted by Portia
My understanding on the WISC IV:
145-160 = HG
160 - 175 = EG
175+ = PG

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

Those scores seem a bit high to me, but my kiddo is not PG (as defined here).

DS hits the PG limits as defined above in several areas - just not globally. This was noted in his report, so I tend to think the scale listed above is accepted.

I would love to hear other's chime in with their thoughts and experiences.

Interestingly the site you reference above has two sets of number for the WISC-IV -- one for regular scores and one for use with extended norms. The numbers you quoted are for the extended norms while the numbers for the FSIQ on WISC-IV without extended norms are:

138-145 = HG
146-152 = EG
152-160 = PG

By this measure our DD is PG (the tester offered to do the extended norms, but at the time we didn't want to pay for it). On this list, I think I've referred to her as HG/PG.

Honestly, outside of a place like this where the terms are simply used to give an idea of general context to other parents, it's all just semantics anyway.

The general consensus seems to be that MG kids without a second E will tend to do well in a regular classroom. HG/EG/PG kids will begin to have issues caused by social disconnect and the need for additional acceleration. It's really just a matter of degree and this is more a factor of the individual child (with their LOG, but also their social skills, quirks, emotional status, etc.).

How the wider world might use the terms, well that's up for grabs.