Hi all,

I have a DS10 who was tested at 8 for a variety of reasons, including looking for a possible hidden LD. It was fairly clear to all he was gifted even before testing.

We are toying with the possibility of testing DD8. She is not clearly gifted, but that is ultimately what we'd be looking for. She has been expressing that she is bored at school, not doing the work, etc. Some of it we know for a fact she is more than capable of doing (especially the math).

The school is willing to do the testing, and able to justify it due to the behavioral issues she's been having (not doing work, not really being easy on her teacher, etc.). I think I"m just looking for that extra push of 'why are you hesitating!' :-)

The pros include having a better case for differentiated work and understanding her strengths and weaknesses better.

The cons include a lot of time out of class and the possibility of DD not seeing it as a positive thing (in which case she just won't do it).

But the biggest potential problem is that it could set up a competitive dynamic between the kids. DD is a big comparer, and gets exceedingly jealous easily. I'm worried she's either going to feel terrible when she finds out her scores are lower than her brother's (very likely that at least some will be, he's pretty high on the verbal ability), or that she will make him feel badly about the areas where his scores are lower (also likely, given that his processing speed is average, and I'm guessing hers would be at least high average -- she's quick). She will not be able to see the bigger picture that I see, or that other kids might: she's quick and funny and socially very astute, so even if she's not "gifted" on a numerical IQ scale, she's very smart and she's got a lot of other things to offer. SIGH.

Its not like I'd be pointing out what his scores were or hers, but he knows his, and she'll likely want hers...

Anyone else have to deal with someone like this?