aeh, thank you for your response and insights. The application process uses the WISC and SBV as initial screeners for an interview; additional materials are not requested. I never imagined that I'd EVER be involved in a process necessitating an admissions interview for a 7 year-old, but so it goes.

Your observation re block design is perceptive and well-taken; our son has always been a bit behind when it comes to physical tasks. For instance, though he can think a mile a minute and express those thoughts verbally, he struggles with handwriting and resists doing it - which the current school cites as evidence that he lacks reading comprehension because he provides very cursory written answers on the 2nd grade reading comp. worksheets. Or that he is not ready to advance to more advanced math because he is slow at hitting the right button on a keyboard in timed math tests where you have three seconds to respond even though he's known the simple math facts for years. Unreal.

I know it varies by committee, but I would think that in a large metro area, in a program designed to select talented kids, there would be someone who can meaningfully analyze the tests. Its fine if he doesn't get in, I there are people in place who have the knowledge to look beyond one number and ascertain what his particular range of scores indicates.