Originally Posted by fobstar
1) Is it true WPPSI-IV scores tend to be lower?

[quote=fobstar]Is there a bit of disconnect between her achievement test results (99.9%) and her IQ scores?

The thing about achievement test results is that they are dependent on learned knowledge, and you're testing a very young child who's already in Junior K and it sounds like she's been exposed to some academics. A lot of the sample group of same-age kids that the achievement test is normed against likely haven't had the same level of exposure to concepts like early reading etc, so what you *might* find (or might not!) is that if she retests in a few years, when other kids are reading etc that where she falls relative to other children's scores (percentile) might dip a little bit, simply because the other kids have started to catch up with early academics.

OTOH, the WPPSI is an ability test, and less likely to be influenced by early exposure to academics, so *if* the score you had was the score she's really at (which might not be, as ash mentioned, scores aren't terribly reliable at her age and she's showing a lot of variation in subtest)... but... *if* they were an accurate snapshot of her abilities, then you'd probably see the scores land her in the same IQ percentiles when tested later on.

I was hoping to use the results to advocate for grade acceleration (skipping junior kindergarten). However, I'm worried the school board will tell me she is not gifted as they use a 98% cutoff.

Since you're not in the US, I can't really help with much advice, but if you *were* in the US one thing I'd advise is that it's easier (usually) to argue for acceleration based on achievement than on IQ scores, for two reasons - teachers/etc are very skeptical of early IQ scores simply because they aren't thought to be reliable when children are so young, plus teachers in general (here, just my experience), put a lot more weight into what they see a child actually doing in terms of academics. So for us, at least, it's been easier to advocate using achievement scores rather than IQ, and I've also had friends (parents) who've been able to bypass IQ cut-offs by showing examples of achievement scores as well as examples of their child's work.

That said, I would not be so terribly eager to advance my very young child in school - unless she was absolutely begging for it. My kids are older, and honestly, no matter what grade level they've been allowed to work at, school has for the most part put boundaries on their lives because of the amount of their free time it consumes, and it never seems like it's quite "enough" (even for my child who is not technically "gifted" according to test #s. If there is one thing I wish I could do for my kids, I wish I could give them back more of their preschool years (even as older people lol!)... because that was the one time in their lives where they truly were able to let their minds just be anywhere at anytime. Even though they might not have been learning reading/writing/arithmetic in preschool, the freedom to just *think* really fostered a ton of learning!

Do you have any alternatives to repeating JK next year? Other types of school options other than acceleration?

Sending you good wishes!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 01/08/15 07:18 PM.