Originally Posted by ohmathmom
I too was a big fan of EPGY, but it is now giftedandtalented.com. The curriculum is the same as EPGY developed by Stanford, and it's very solid. My only concern would be the pace. When it was EPGY, I could offer placement tests and adjust settings for users in my group so children could start where they were ready and move through the program more quickly and not be bored by needless repetition. It seems people who were users before the switch were able to keep those settings. However, I don't know if people who joined after the switch have access to a placement test, the ability to switch from reinforcement to gifted curriculum, or to manually adjust the number of review exercises. I would ask about what kind of control you have over adjusting the pace of the program for your DS. If they reply by saying that the program automatically adjusts to the learner's pace, don't buy it--that was always the case; EPGY was always adaptive. Even so, I had to make additional adjustments to the program for many students for whom the program (adaptive though it was) still wasn't fast enough.

Just from what I've seen on the web, they seem more commercial and sales oriented, so if I were you I'd want to hear from other parents before joining. You might ask on the this board to hear from other parents who joined after the switch to giftedandtalented.com to see what their experience has been like. As I said, the curriculum is very solid. As Portia mentioned, it's good for kids who don't need or want a game-like program or a program with lots fancy sound and graphics. I'd just want to find out more from people who joined after the switch before deciding.

My DD9 and DD10 were enrolled in EPGY through the tutor-supported program before the switch to giftedandtalented.com. We took a break before the switch and came back under the new format in the independent study (IS) program. There is no testing required for the IS set of courses. They picked up right where the left off in their old courses.

You have to talk to the support personnel, but they have the ability to set the course at the regular setting (6 questions per topic) or gifted setting (4 questions per topic). There is also a parent account feature which is basically a dashboard access of your kids classes in one place. In the parent account you also have the ability to increase or decrease your kid's level by 0.5.