Happy new year everyone.

So now I believed that my DS3.5 is gifted in maths.
He is now very into multiplication and he figure out the times table of 13-29 by addition. I taught him how to calculate 23x4 (i taught him it is equal to 20x4 +3x4) and find that he can calculate 54x3 by himself now. Right after that he is trying to calculate two digits x two digits (e.g.13x14), he didn't figure it out yet, but i know he will keep going on for a period of time (and for as big as his head can handle). Therefore, I am thinking to enroll him for some more formal maths class, e.g. Abacus or EPGY, do any of you have experience on those classes?

For me, I value the maths concept and thinking more than the accuracy and speed of calculation (as everything will become x, y, z in the future and everyone use calculator in university and work), so i am not very into Abacus. However, i heard that it is really fun and it seems really suitable for my DS age to learn it, so i am considering enroll him to Abacus as well. Would any of you have experience? is it really fun? will it be too focus on speed and accuracy that made the kid doesn't think about the concept/meaning/reasoning of the math? or actually it helps them conceptualize the math?

or I should enroll my son for a EPGY class to help me explain some concept for him?

At home, we always apply maths in daily life and playing, i just want sth to help me to present the concept more clearly.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Cynthialcy; 01/06/15 11:26 PM.