DD10 (5th grade) has been getting AIG services for math the last several years. She has not received services for LA due to scores on the ITBS and Cogat. We have not had her take the WISC because she is excelling in school and very happy there (vs. DD9 HG whom I post about here all the time!!), and if all is well - it just didn't seem necessary. BUT,DD10 is very unhappy that she is not AIG L.A. like her best friend and her sister and once again, took the Cogat and ITBS this Fall to see if she could become AIG in language arts. I received her scores yesterday and am wondering about the lower reading test scores vs how well she does in class.
Here are some scores followed by some questions:
Cogat: Verbal 84 Quan. 94 Nonverbal 99 VQN 97 test date 10/2014
Cogat: Verbal 84 Quan. 89 Nonverbal 87 VQN 88 test date 10/2013
Cogat: Verbal 73 Quan. 88 Nonverbal 83 VQN 84 test date 10/2012

Note how the scores have jumped except for verbal? Does this test just show achievement? DD10 had taken 2 months of pre algebra this year at an after school class before she took this test. Would that account for the large jump between 4th and 5th? Her Iowa scores are similar for math (99%)but the LA scores have fallen every year (86 two years ago to now 71). Her in class grades are now 4's for L.A. - high as they have every been. Her EOG Lexile score was 1075 at the end of 4th grade. I am just baffled by this uneven scoring. Is it time to do some more in depth testing? DD also has unilateral hearing loss. Would this affect ITBS and Cogat testing? I will add that DD is not a fan of writing; She is definitely a "math" girl. As an aside, since some of you follow the trials and tribulations of our DD9 story, DD9 and DD10 are not genetically related so that research about siblings and similar IQ's is not going to apply. It's more "nurture" than "nature" in our family.