Originally Posted by Ametrine
She did suggest we sign him up for a team sport. When we mentioned Karate, she balked and said that was "too dependent upon individual ability". Likewise, robotics was out of the question. Though that is a team sport, apparently it must be too cerebral? Soccer was her favorite, but she did mention other interests like dance or an instrument. (Confusion about those...seems dependent upon individual ability!)

Ametrine, I would think that one of the considerations in choosing an activity is what appeals to your ds - if he's engaged, the social learning experiences will be fostered, but if it's not something he enjoys, then all the social learning experiences in the world aren't going to "take" as effectively.

I don't know anything about karate (no experience), but I do wonder if a sport like karate might serve the purposes you're seeking. My children have participated in Judo and Tae Kwan Do, and while they are individual-ability sports there is a component of respect, being together while working etc that I think will at least help with some of what you're hoping to accomplish. Same thing with dance.

The musical instrument I don't understand - unless he was playing with a group (which I think might be difficult to find at his age?) - and even if you did find it, might be extremely boring and frustrating for some kids. I only mention that having helped with a youngish-concert-band... for some kids it was great, for others just beyond boring and frustrating due to wildly different ability levels.

polarbear