My DC get frequent lectures from me about how everyone learns differently, and that they need to be careful not to compare themselves to others at school. I have told them that doing so will not win them any popularity contests - quite the opposite. On the other hand, I am sensitive to the fact that they are young children and that even when they are not meaning to brag, simply being themselves in a school environment can come across that way - which is both sad and tough at the same time!

DS told me a story about talking to an older boy in a higher grade at school and realizing that their respective teachers had them working on the same math level at school - I quickly told DS that it was probably not a good idea to discuss with other children what math level they were working on. I am not trying to have DS "hide," but in my experience, one almost has to disguise this type of thing to be considered sufficiently humble by one's peers. DD already knows to deflect such questions by peers and change the subject (as in, "Oh, look! A cute puppy!").