I'm coming back to this post years later because Christmas is coming and I just know some parents are wondering about bikes for their children.

DS eventually rode a bike with training wheels when he was in Kindergarten. I thought he'd never get over his fear!

His dad is his most trusted adult (yes, as a mom I'm a bit jealous), and was able to coax him into spending more and more time just sitting on the bike with the training wheels. Then dad pushed him a bit. Next, dad had DS try to make the bike go by pushing the pedals.

The time-line on this was at least three months. Then, BAM!!, DS was off and pedaling down the drive way! smile

He had a similar trajectory when dad said the training wheels needed to come off.

That was over two years ago. We recently bought him a new bike for Christmas because he has outgrown his trainer bike. I watched him ride that old bike over the weekend and reflected how much he has grown; both physically and emotionally in such a short time.

Anyway...if your child is bike phobic, please don't give up. The smile on their face when they eventually ride on their own (even with training wheels) is something you'll never forget.

Happy Cycling! smile