What is the problem with bicycles??

When our son didn't want to ride on baby pushers at a year and a half, we were understanding.

When our son didn't want to sit on his trike at three, we were confused and pushed him anyway. He got off and wanted to turn it over to see the wheels spin. He outgrew that trike before learning to push with his feet to make the pedals turn.

When our son picked out a helmet that he said didn't hurt we were excited that he'd be ready to ride his new bike with training wheels.

NOT! He sits on it and for one minute lets either of us push him and tell him to push down on the pedals with his feet. He gives up and says he's "too little to ride a bike". (He's 42" tall and almost four and a half, btw.) Arrrggg!!!!!!!

He starts preschool in August and I was told they have a "bring your bike to school" day. I think this is wonderful...or is it? Will our son be embarrassed in front of the rest of the kids because he doesn't ride?

Does anyone have advice for me on what to do for him to "gear up" for the big bicycle day?