In my district while students can take Algebra as early as 7th grade, they do not get "High School" credit for math classes taken in junior high. These classes do not go on their High School transcript. (I am aware some schools do give credit.) When they get to High School they are enrolled in a higher level math class Geometry or Algebra II but still need to complete the minimum of 2 years of math. On the other hand 4 years of High School (or AP) English is required.

My district offers GATE/Gifted LA for 7th & 8th grade. The 8th grade honors LA is similar to a regular 9th grade English class and expects higher level reading & writing skills. They effectively do what you are describing, but it's not labeled 9th grade LA & no credit it given. This then progresses with honors English in 9th grade, and kids start taking AP Language classes as early as 10th grade. The "honors" track in English in my district is "honors" 9th grade English, AP Language (10th grade, or 12th grade) and two years course of AP Literature broken into American & English literature (10 & 11th grade, or 11th & 12th). Different schools do it differently, I know not why.

This issue here is if you want subject acceleration vs. "honors" classes. I do think parents want their kids challenged in LA. It's just that unlike math where you really do need to learn X before you learn Y. Like the previous poster said, you HAVE to take Pre-Calculus to be enrolled in AP Calculus, but you all you need to be enrolled in AP English is write well enough. You don't NEED to read one particular set of books before you move onto the next. The task is to learn to read critically and write well enough to be successful in college.

Does your H.S. not offer AP English classes? Have you really checked what your local H.S. offers for their most advanced students?

Last edited by bluemagic; 11/08/14 12:13 AM.