I think this is the only place I can talk about this without getting 'you're a raving maniac' looks from my friends and loved ones. I have not been great a posting much over the past year or so. Life with two 2Es is overwhelming, as you all know. I think I am a little too caught up in an attempt to remediate the hell out of everything. Poor DS6 is my guinea pig. The fourth of four grandchildren, all with diagnosis. He is the only chance we have to see what early accommodations and help can do to negate the emotional toil of 2E.

DD12 had a reassessment of her academic achievement this summer so that we can tee up all of her accommodations and interventions for junior high. Her first assessment, six years ago, revealed her ADHD and PG. Subsequent testing, at my insistence, showed dysgraphia. I have asked and begged and made a general nuisance of myself for six years to find out why she is not receiving an actual dyslexia diagnosis. Her psychologist is an LD guru but, like everyone in this province, was hung up on her astronomical reading comprehension skills. Last year, I said (#%&% it and started paying for private Orton-Gillingham tutoring. With the help of her tutor, fantastic information on stealth dyslexia from the Drs Eide and this newest assessment.... she finally has a dyslexia diagnosis. We received the printed copy yesterday and I just keep staring at the words. It just feels right. It describes her to a tee. It is who she is. It is RIGHT. (Its okay to just nod your head here and privately think I am nuts, I'm used to it).

Yup, I'm a label lover. You can't fix it until you can name it kind of label lover.

DD and her psychologist are now planning a full day workshop for local kids with dyslexia. It is going to be about embracing dyslexia and recognizing it as a superpower.

The moral of my story: trust your gut and do whatever needs to be done regardless. They are words and numbers on paper that will help your child get what they need. Use them to get those things. They do not define your child, but they are damn important on sending you down the right path to help.

PS - pardon my potty mouth ;-)

Last edited by kathleen'smum; 11/04/14 04:46 AM.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery