ok so I'm not being a tiger mom I promise!!! I have posted about this before and got some wonderful responses. This is kind of an update - still not working thingy...

DD4.5 has been trying to learn to read on her own with reading eggs for a year now and although she can sound out cvc words she really isn't progressing at all.

She seems to read the first few letters of a word then guess, she is very good at using the pictures to determine what she should say though and I think she relies on them rather than using the letters. Sometimes even without a picture she'll get the meaning right but the word wrong like saying pill instead of tablet. I know that this is developmentally appropriate but well, something just doesn't feel right knwim? She refuses to follow the words with her finger, even though when I do it for her she does do better.

She is very visual special - but she's also up there with everything else so she shouldn't be lacking the ability to learn. When she is on the computer she has no problem but put a book in her hands and everything grinds to a standstill.

I'm concerned about her being turned off reading because she is desperate to learn and her confidence is ebbing. I don't feel we are pushing her at all - we got the program on after she asked to learn and let her go at her own pace which at first was very slow because she just wanted to play on the computer - now though she wizzes through it so I know that she is capable of learning to read. She tries a few pages and complains her eyes are sore or that the book is boring or whatever - classic avoidance which is not getting better. I looked into arlin syndrome but it seems people here are extremely sceptical about it. We have seen an optometrist and she has no vision problems. We have no history of LD in our family and she shows no other markers anyway. She does complain of letters being wobbly sometimes.

We play a few literacy based games which she loves, she writes very well and can spell a few words. She is the type of learner (which I admit frustrates the hell out of me) that asks to be shown something, lets you get 2/3's through then stops you and says yep I've got it and refuses to listen anymore, then gets frustrated she can't do it. I'm really hoping that goes away with age as she does it with everything - normally she's fine but as things are getting harder she needs to actually listen and learn maybe even more than once god forbid. It just means when she struggles with more than a couple of words instead of accepting help she just refuses to go on.

Am I just being pushy? it's hard to get perspective, it just seems like she just can't do it and there's something holding her back. Anyone I've spoken to about it looks at me like I'm a monster so you guys are it!

I have tried daily reading which we stopped after a fortnight as it did more harm than good, she didn't touch a book for a month after that....