I thought of this thread when my son used his extended time accomadation per his 504 for the first time this year (the plan was just written at the end of last school year and he doesn't need it all the time). I told him he needed to inform the teacher on Friday (due date) but he didn't know quite what to say so he said nothing. He finished Saturday morning and attached a note in the email with the paper explaining after the fact that he was "using his 504" and why the assignment gave him problems. I corresponded with his teacher explaining it was his first time asking for extended time and that I had suggested he contact her Thursday or Friday so she would know the assignment was coming just delayed. My goal is that he will ask the instructor for help right after it is assigned rather that freak out the night before it is due. His problem is recognizing which assignments he can whip out no problem and which assignment twist his autistic brain in knots. Sometimes he spends more time complaining that could be spent asking for clarification.

Teacher was very nice and understanding (she has a rep for being tough). But she mentioned she has a nephew with autism and enjoys my son in class. So she is tough yet understanding.