I'm looking for any advice. DS is 7 yo, in 2nd grade. Accelerated to 3rd grade for math and has some accommodations for his advanced reading level in ELA. He attends a gifted class for 30 minutes 2x/6 school days

He just got his first list of advanced spelling words. They were taken from the vocabulary list that the whole class is learning. Some examples: technique, specially, competitive, weeknight. Most of the words weren't too hard for DS, but the first three really intimidated him. Every time I sit him down to practice, he has a huge meltdown. "I can't do this, this is too hard," crying, hyperventilating, etc. When I get him to actually spell the words, he can get them right. I don't think they are TOO hard, but just harder than anything he's had in school so far.

Any advice to help him calm down and not freak out?
Are the words a little bit too hard? Yes, I want him to be challenged, but he's only in 2nd grade. I don't think he should have to work harder than the other kids. (i.e. if the other kids practice their spelling words 5-10 minutes a day, he shouldn't have to be practicing 20-30 minutes a day)

What do you think?
TIA

Mom to DS 7, DD 5, DD 2
familiar with: adoption, infertility, ASL/Deafness, child abuse prevention