I am new here and hoping for some help. My son will be 4 this month. He is currently going to Kensington School (Chicago suburbs) in the Transitional Kindergarten class. In this class the kids are working through the Jolly Phonics program, doing art projects, starting on basic math. He complains that he is bored in the class which is no surprise because he is writing complete sentences and reading first grade books. I went on a tour of a gifted school in the area and they are working through the same program at a faster pace and doing similar work as his current school. Here is the kicker - they have a cut off date of Sept 1; a student has to be 4 by September 1 to get into the gifted school's Pre-K class. That means that if we went to this "great school" that he would start working on his current projects next year, even though he is already ahead of the class now.

I was really hoping that the gifted school would be the answer but obviously not. What do I do? I am so frustrated because he needs/wants to be challenged and that is not happening until he comes home to us. I feel like he is going to hate school if we don't figure out something to do with him. I am open to any suggestions here. He could write by 2.5 and was reading before that. He knows all of the states and the capitals - can point them out on a map and can write them only given the state abbreviations. He has learned all of the major bones in the body. He can count to 100... I am at a loss. What do I do with him?