Originally Posted by blackcat
Yeah, like the long-term sub she had last year who claimed she tried graphic organizers (at my request) and they didn't help at all. I don't understand what interventions they think would even be helpful. She writes really slow and has no idea what to write if she has to write more than a couple sentences. And who would do these interventions if the teacher already thinks she is fine. DD says she doesn't do any writing in language arts (other than basic grammar stuff) so no wonder the teacher doesn't see a problem. Anyway, I told the school that they are free to try interventions but there has to be a specific plan and there need to be measureable progress and objectives, which are then communicated with us in some way. Otherwise I want to go straight to an eval.

It's really important to keep the interventions conversations focused… be sure that if they are stating they want to try an intervention, it's appropriate. You're the best judge on that at this point, you understand the diagnosis and you know your dd's history. If they were to suggest an intervention that's either already been tried or is inappropriate, stand firm, point out why it's not reasonable, and proceed with your request for an evaluation.

Have you turned in a written request for an eval? I think it's best at this point to be sure to summarize all conversations in writing (email is ok) and send back to the people involved to "clarify" (i.e., you know what they said, but what they said may not be legally correct, so if you write it down as a summary, send it back to them and politely ask - this is what I heard, is this correct? - then they will only answer in writing with what is legally ok to say/do. That's the easiest way I found to plow through this type of situation and move forward.

Best wishes,

polarbear