Hi there

It sounds like you are where we were a few months ago!

My DS(6) was identified as gifted during SK. He has just started grade 1 FI, and my DD is in the same school in a higher grade.

Luckily, our school board has a congregated gifted program starting in grade 1. However we opted to give the FI a try, as DS is good with languages and DD loves the program and her school. It was a tough decision, but we really wanted him to have a chance to learn a second language (and be at the same school as DD).

He has an IEP and his teachers are supposed to be providing differentiation in areas he is advanced in. It hasn't happened yet, but it's early in the year and I know they are drafting the IEP.

In my ideal world he would actually be starting grade 2 this year, but when we asked about this possiblity we got blank stares back. This is apparently not done at our school board.

So far the FI seems to be going well - he is enjoying learning French. Last night he was working with DH on adding 2-digit numbers in French, and I've already had little conversations with him in French. DH and I were discussing last night that he may pick it up too quickly and become bored. At least we have a backup plan - we can always switch him to the congregated gifted if his FI school doesn't manage to keep him engaged.

For your DD, I would keep working with the teachers on getting her books appropriate to her reading level, and math work at her level. Are there any gifted programs at your school board? It would be worth finding out so you know what the options are. Also, I believe you can ask for an IEP to be put in place even without formal testing and identification.

If there are no gifted programs available for your DD, you could give the FI a try. The School Resource teacher at my DS's school told us that it works well for many gifted kids.

If you have any questions, let me know.