Hello,
Last night I attended my DD5's school open house. She has just started Senior Kindergarten (we live in Ontario Canada.)

Her teacher pulled me aside and said that she had started evaluating DD's reading level in class. The evaluation started at level 6 (the expected level for children entering grade one) She had to stop the evaluation at level 12 due to time constraints. DD said all the books were too easy. I'm not familiar with guided reading levels, but I know DD reads books that are grade 2 and up at home.

The teacher then recommended a math game for DD to try and advised me to skip the grade one level because it would be very easy for her. Her teacher went so far as to say that DD is ready to go to grade one now. However, there was no mention of moving her to a grade one class.

I also had a chat with her ECE who recommended that we try to get her into French immersion next year. She said DD would probably be bored in grade one and that French Immersion would be a great choice for her as she already has very strong language skills and can read.

I'm happy to see that her teachers are cluing into the fact that she is way ahead of the expectations - I told them last year that she could read fluently but they kind of brushed it off. I'm also worried about grade one next year. From my own experience with her and hearing the reports from her teachers it looks like she's already mastered a lot of the grade one curriculum.

Has anyone had any experience with French Immersion in Ontario? I've heard that a lot of people are treating Immersion like a gifted program. We are just not sure what to do!

Thanks!