DS7 (second grade) has never been easy, no doubt about that. However, his school behavior improved drastically by preK, and we had no "out of normal issues" in school until this year.

The teachers called us in for a conference and said that DS seems to have problems communicating with the other children. The gist is that he doesn't read social cues well- does a little bothering (e.g. getting in personal space), has problems compromising, and doesn't take peer feedback. I'm hearing that he can be inattentive to school work, has a tendency to interrupt (sometimes asking irrelevant questions), and is a bit "slow" to get his things together at the end of the day and when moving from a class. These problems are not "daily" but enough to bring us in for a meeting.

Homework has been a rough start- DS has difficulty with tedious tasks and managing frustration with mistakes. (think "meltdown" when he makes a mistake).

The teachers say when he is interested, DS is highly engaged-- apparently writing was a problem until he got a topic that captured his interest, then he wrote three cogent paragraphs. He's accelerated in math- which I think may be causing some friction because he likes to talk about math. DS has said that he's being "socially bullied" (his words)-- that the kids don't like him, won't let him play, etc. I'm seeing both sides.

We're taking DS to talk with someone and potentially an neuropsych exam. I'm just befuddled because DS will work for hours on something he loves, learns quickly, and is eager for friends. I know it sounds like ADHD or even HFA, but I'm not so sure. DS is a DYS and all of his WISC scores are in the gifted range, with the exception of processing, which is still 91st percentile.

DS is depressed- speaks angrily about his peers and sadly about how he used to have friends in K and 1st (he had a lot of class turnover this year, and his "group" has left the school). He said he's tried to play what the kids are playing at recess, but is not a strong athlete (and was told by the boys that he was not "allowed" to play). He seems to have some trouble understanding rough "boy play." It makes him anxious and is another reason he doesn't participate.

Anyway, sigh.