I did once find out my IQ as an adult. For some reason I can't now recall, I had gotten a copy of my high school student file, and in it was a copy of the results of an IQ test I took in the 1st grade. I can't remember what test it was or what exactly the number was, nor did I really know much about IQ results at the time. I just knew that it was high enough to be gifted, and I remember thinking to myself, "Gosh, that explains why they put me in that program back in 2nd grade, and then in the high math group at that school where I did 3rd, and how I got into the gifted program in my other school district in 4th." But I was younger and probably full of myself and didn't any any other results to directly compare myself to.

That said, I do think that an IQ number really represents a possibility. There is a great deal more to success in any field or endeavor other than sheer intelligence. Your interests and personality are important, and so are your family environment and school experience, and the opportunities you had to learn particular life skills. I've said before, with much frustration, that I don't care if DD is ahead of the other kids, or if she graduates early, or whatever. But I DO care that she's challenged, because if she never experiences challenge, she'll never learn to handle it, and she'll never learn the organizational, motivational, and self-confidence skills she needs outside of school.