Simple Minds-Don't You Forget About Me

My son (now a second grader) has a huge crush on a girl from last year that has left his school due to her parents having trouble financially. They are in the process of relocating to a different state.

He has known this since last April. Still, he brings her up and says he loves her. Since I have her mother's phone number, I called to see if our kids could be "pen pals". (My son loved this idea.)

Well, it turns out they are not leaving for at least a year, but are not returning to the school. (A charter) They have their children in the local public school.

My initial reaction is to cut ties, but my son LOVES this girl. He says that whenever he was hurt, she would come to see what she could do. He used to tell me that the other kids teased him about how much he LOVED her. (I should say she's a bit on the "delayed" spectrum.) But he didn't care. She is beautiful to him.

What do you do when you have a child who is so empathetic that he can easily have his heart crushed? Do you "nip it in the bud" or do you allow things to continue well past what most parents of average kids would?

I called her mother tonight and suggested a play date as well as pen-pal writing and she seemed okay with that. I asked her to call when it's convenient for them since she has four kids and I have only my son.

Am I nuts?

Last edited by Ametrine; 09/24/14 05:36 PM. Reason: more info on age