We have requested an IPRC twice, in writing, but both times we've backed down on the grounds that informal measures were being taken to accommodate. We've kept a careful paper trail of this.

Aquinas: I understand the legalities, this is really all advocacy-tactics stuff. I'm pretty darned sure he'd eventually going to get an actual IPRC, but we're monkeying with timing, and with keeping a good relationship with the school.

Chay: That is not technically correct, though it may be correct in practice. I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with enforcement around IEPs, especially those lacking IPRC.

PolarBear: IPRC is the process by which formal recognition of a student's exceptionality is given. IEP is the tool to specify accommodations for a child with an IPRC. TDSB (local school board) has been granting IEPs without IPRCs to avoid legally recognizing exceptionalities, and it's not quite clear to me yet what that all ends up meaning at the end of the day. It makes no sense. It's a kludge to keep parents from pressing for IPRC.

We're hearing some real odd stuff regarding the IPRC process and how it's supposed to work. Things that I have a hard time not categorizing as "lies." At the same time, our school's team was totally ready to bat for DS, even to the point of finding workarounds for the one obnoxious person in the room (who was very senior).

We are getting everything we need quite tidily, there's just this weird "better not document anything" vibe.

Legally, they haven't a leg to stand on with not doing the IPRC. Congregated gifted or not.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!