I don't think STAR has enough discrimination to be useful in any way. 25 items across many grade levels just doesn't give enough information. The test took about 10 minutes, and scores were wildly inaccurate returning >12.9 level for reading and math for many second graders in the class.

Disappointing not to get much useful information, but I wouldn't base placement or instruction on STAR results.
Originally Posted by DeeDee
AEH, thank you. This is very helpful.

DS7's STAR report came back very odd: giving an overall recommendation of a 6th grade instructional level in reading, but all the goals listed in detail in the report are 8th and 9th grade curriculum goals. I assume the 6th grade instructional level comes from the cap, and if they started him higher, might change.

The math results are beyond strange-- they say he's substantially ahead, but then the subscores don't show that at all, leaving me wondering what if any relation the subscores bear to the overall scaled score and recommendations. I can't quite see how we will get to rational recommendations for instruction from here.

Thanks--
DeeDee