delbows,

My master's degree is in education and "brainwashing" is definitely the correct word! Also, I didn't teach in the K-12 classrooms, but my dissertation research for my PhD was done in K-12 public schools and what parents see as "education" is very, very different from what public schools see as "education".
Especially now with the emphasis on testing, the concern is not so much in teaching "how to think", but "what to think". Rarely are children encouraged to explore the possibilities, but are taught that there is one right answer. For instance I saw this example:
Question: How many planets are there?
"right" answer: 9
However, due to the wording of the question there are several correct answer including "we don't know" since we only really understand most planets in our soloar system, but there are many solar systems out there in space with an infinite number of possibities. Then, we get into the Pluto situation! However, when the focus is getting kids to pass a proficiency test, we must drill into them there is one correct answer and until the answer keys catch up with modern science the correct answer is 9.

This doesn't fly at all with most gifted children who are more deep learners and naturally question answers. This is why in most public schools gifted children are seen as a distraction and a disturbance (which they are if your focus is teaching to a test and someone inserting answers not correct for the test will infact cause someone to possibly miss that question).

I can see why many school settings are hostile to gifted children. Then, we have states like mine with misguided gifted programs. In order to include a certain percentage of "all children" kids are accepted into the gifted program in several ways, one is through IQ testing, the second is through a portfolio. Well, here is the kicker!! The third way they accept kids is something called "motivation". So, if a teacher sees a "highly motivated" student - regardless of IQ, ability, reading level, math level, etc., etc. - just purely motivation, they can be accepted into the gifted program. My state could be an case study for the next Genius Denied book! But, they have brainwashed teachers and administrators that "inclusion" is more important than educating all students appropriately.

Sorry for the rant, it is just so hard.

Oh yea, for the record I am African American - so please don't believe my disgust with inclusion is racially motivated. It just doesn't help the child who is in no way ready for accelerated work, but has been chosen simply to fill some number. That is wrong for all children involved.